Store Design Director
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina US
Requisition Number: 173
Position Title: Store Design/Const Director
Position Type: Full Time
The Store Development Director provides the leadership and oversees the design, construction and maintenance for the corporate real estate portfolio. This position serves as a key resource to Senior Leadership in facilitating corporate strategy around store development and construction to achieve company objectives and growth goals. The Store Development Director acts in both the strategic and in a hands on capacity, using both skills to drive day-to-day and project activities.
What responsibilities does this position have?
- Effectively lead Store Planning, Architecture, Construction, and Maintenance across all company stores, offices and the warehouse.
- Develop and define the infrastructure of the department.
- Set the direction for the Store Development Team. Create an atmosphere of collaboration, iterative improvements, inspiring teamwork and welcoming change by team engagement of planning and problem solving.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to champion process improvements through the Store Development organization, setting vision, strategy and execution of all design, construction, and facilities initiatives for the company.
- Strengthen relationships across the business (Legal, Lease Admn., Real Estate, Operations, Finance, etc.)
- Ability to articulate the impact of Design, Construction and Facilities Maintenance on meeting the company’s business goals, including the ability to drive negotiations and execute decisions in a timely manner to deliver the projects as to agreed scope, schedule and budget.
- Select, hire, develop and evaluate the team members to achieve cohesive department that can realize the department’s objectives.
- Oversee the Construction, Maintenance and facilities annual Capital budgets.
- Collaborate with the in house legal team to ensure all lease exhibits and other documents meet prototype design standards and corporation requirements for construction.
- Must have knowledge of applicable Building and Fire Codes, including laws such as ADA.
- Stays abreast of retail industry trends related to retail store design, construction and maintenance.
- Responsible for the oversight of policies and procedures related to the design and construction of new and remodel stores within the brand.
- This position will be responsible for the progress and overall quality of all construction projects.
- Provide and lead future prototype design strategies and processes for long range planning efforts that enhance the brand.
- Determine areas of potential cost reductions, program improvements and policy changes; evaluate initiatives for strategic impact and / or expected outcomes; establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives and procedures.
- Oversee the Maintenance department (including Corporate Mailroom) to ensure that the assigned task are completed in a satisfactory manner.
- Lead facilities management initiatives that will support company’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Construction Management or related field.
- 10+ years of experience in store development in a leadership role.
- Willingness to travel approx. 20%.
- Working knowledge of construction and architecture in a retail environment.
- Must have strong financial management and analysis skills.
- Exhibit effective verbal and written communication skills across a diverse audience.
- Demonstrated excellent analytical and planning skills.
- Exceptional in team building and managing with excellent organization skills.
- Ability to read architectural and engineering plans.
- Excellent Computer Skills: Blue Beam, AutoCAD and Microsoft (Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet)
What kind of individual are we looking for?
- Professional craftspeople. They keep up with best practices by reading industry blogs, leading authors’ books on best practices, law, and leading/emerging websites about modern technologies and practices.
- Passionate practitioners. They love all things constuction. They care deeply about not only doing a job well, but doing it right. They care about creating lasting relationships with vendors.
- People hungry for what’s next. They are aware of what’s going on in the field now and even have some idea of what’s on the way, but they follow leaders in the field about what they see coming and how we can make it relevant to our business.
Why Join Rack Room Shoes?
If shoes aren’t enough to entice you to join our team, then perhaps working with a team full of forward-thinking, compassionate, problem solvers who are looking for the optimal union between business and people... Sound appealing now? How about our extensive benefits package for all full-time employees (which includes medical, dental, vision, and 401k)?
Who Are We?
We’re the small but growing Store Construction/Design team for Rack Room Shoes and Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse. We are looking for a new member to join our passionate team.
- A brand new state of the art building.
- New work spaces, ergonomic chairs and plenty of space dedicated to collaboration.
- Fitness Center with locker rooms and Employee Lounge on premises.
- Fresh fruit provided weekly.
- All the Starbucks coffee you can drink!
Community / Marketing Title: Store Design Director
About Rack Room Shoes
Great shoes for men, women and children in comfort, dress, casual, and athletic categories make Rack Room Shoes the family footwear retailer of choice. The company offers a wide selection of nationally recognized brands known for their quality. Rack Room Shoes also offers an assortment of exclusive private brands commissioned from the best manufacturers in the business. Our private brands offer customers great styles and outstanding values, which translates into satisfied, loyal, repeat customers.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Charlotte, North Carolina US
CountryEEOText_Description: Rack Room Shoes provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation and gender identity), national origin, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, military service, or any other characteristic that is protected by applicable law. This policy of equal employment opportunity extends to all aspects of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, reassignment, demotion, discipline, discharge, performance evaluation, compensation and benefits.